We have often heard that negative emotions contribute to most illnesses, fatigue and depression. Dr. Susan Babel, a known psychologist has tried to co-relate continuous and chronic pain experienced in different parts of our body to various emotional states that we can go through.
- Head : Very often a persisting migraine, a perpetual headache is stress related. If we can find a way to relax through meditation or therapies involving pleasure, calmness and joy, we might be able to rid ourselves of the pain.
- Neck : The much oft used terminology “pain in the neck” is often caused by a person who is the crux of our annoyance, anger, frustration or hurt. We can serve ourselves well if we can forgive them. We might be able to absolve ourselves of pain.
- Shoulders : Once again the term “weight upon the shoulders” fits well as it indicates heavy emotional burden that one carries is the cause of shoulder pain. If one can find a friend who has empathy towards you, it would greatly reduce the burden and the pain.
- Upper Back : This pain manifests itself when there is lack of emotional support, when one doesn’t feel appreciated. Do things without expectation of gratitude. Or help out someone needy to enjoy the feeling of pure giving.
- Lower Back : Financial worries can often elevate this pain. From the practical aspect of it, it would mean long hours of work put in to make ends meet causes this. Physical pain certainly isn’t worth any amount of money. Enjoy simple pleasures.
- Elbows : This pain may occur for people who resist change, not ready to adjust with people, circumstances or ones having a closed mind. Try to be a little easy on people around you, do not have fixed ideas on living life…as they say sometimes learn to go with the flow.
- Hands : Lack of friends can be the cause of this pain. Its often said that helping hands are what tides us over problems. Try to be friendlier, help others to help yourself.
- Hips : The fear of change can make one immobile. When one wants to be rooted to the same spot or fears being uprooted from his/her place, the hip joint might give the feeling of being stuck. Accept the change with an open mind.
- Knees : This is often an obstacle of ego, a sign of high self esteem. It would help to step down from the high chair sometime and do volunteering work.
- Calves : Jealousy and emotional stress can be the contributing factor for this pain. When that happens itâ€™s time to let go. What is meant to be will be, the sooner one accepts this, the happier one will be.
- Ankles : Pain needs to subside as one finds one self more deserving. Love your body enough to give it rest and help it to relax. Go for a nice massage, watch a movie..basically like they say, “its time to put the feet up and enjoy life.”
- Feet : Most will find this problem a part of their daily lives. This often is also about fighting depression. To put your mind away from these situations, find a new hobby, learn something new so you donâ€™t have time or inclination to dwell of unpleasant things.
As strange as it may seem, each of us will find something that we can identify with in here. If it is true like Dr Susan Babel says, then we can choose to try and harmonize our emotional imbalances to alleviate the pain we face. Mind is a powerful healer.