Valentine’s day is around the corner and while we put in a lot of effort to please the one that has our heart, we forget to look after our own. In todayâ€™s world of fast stressful lives, heart health should be the number priority on everyoneâ€™s mind. Yet, apart from the basic knowledge that ads provide to sell their products, most of the people are completely lost on how to better it every day. Heart health is not just about low consumption of fat, low levels of triglycerides, and zero cholesterol. You donâ€™t need fancy food or difficult preparations to do good to your heart.
Food that helps in heart health are:
- Garlic- 2 cloves of raw garlic consumed in the morning.
2. Cinnamon- Â¼ teaspoon of powdered cinnamon in half a glass of warm water in the morning.
3. Seeds-Â½ teaspoon of seeds such as pumpkin seeds, chiaseeds, flaxseeds, sesame seeds. These are high in Omegas which support heart health.
4. Nuts- Walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts. Sources of Omegas
5. Watermelons, cantaloupe and melons provide the body with potassium that strengthens the heart.
6.Â Spinach- High in minerals such as magnesium.
7.Â Berries and Citrus fruits- Oranges, strawberries, blueberries, lemons, etc. They have antioxidants that keep free radicals at bay.
8.Â Oats- High on soluble fiber. It reduces fat and cholesterol absorption in the GI tract.
9.Â Cocoa-Dark chocolate eaten in small quantity, as long as its balanced with weight gain is actually beneficial for the heart because of antioxidants present.
10. Fish/eggs- Sources of B12. This is very important for lowering the homocysteine in the blood, the enzyme that causes blood clots and damages the artery walls.
Heart health has to be nurtured on an everyday basis. One doesnâ€™t have to really work very hard to do so. Here is a list of regular, everyday things you can do to improve, maintain and better it.
- Exercise for at least 30mins every day.
- Eat a lot of fibrous food including green leafy vegetables.
- Lower the amount of pre-packed food consumption.
- Eat foods containing potassium and magnesium.
- Collagen is not just for your face but for your heart too, so keep the vitamins up.
- Learn to sleep. The body needs at least 7 hours to heal and repair.
- Learn to keep blood pressure at bay. Having BP means you are making your heart work harder.
- Like one cleans our home, learn to clean out your mind and heart. Hold no grudges, bad memories, hurt or pain. Disinfect them with love, laughter and peace. Breathe free.
- Hear your own heartbeat in silence sometimes, gives you the awareness to know if itâ€™s working fine.
- Donâ€™t smoke. Keep your lungs healthy. The heart has to pump faster and harder when the lungs are incapable to oxygenating the blood completely.
Simple measures keep your heart healthy and ensure its wellness. Be heart friendly, be heart healthy.