Jeera also known as cumin has many more benefits than you can possibly imagine. This little tiny gem is packed with anti-oxidants, minerals and vitamins. Roasted jeera has deep aromatic flavors and is often the first ingredient in Indian cooking. With a history of over 5000 years, it is amongst the first few spices used to enhance cooking and nutrition according to Ayurveda.
We use it liberally in our Indian cooking without understanding its nutritional value and thereby do not ingest so as to absorb the best of what it has to offer.
Here is a list of all its benefits.
1. Aids in digestion. Lightly roasted jeera in ghee helps reduce heartburn, acidity and constipation. Not only does it add flavor and smell good but reduces the harmful effects of an extremely spicy meal.
2.It decreases mucus congestion andÂ clears your respiratory system by Â clearing your lungsÂ from congestion caused. Jeera soaked in waterÂ consumedÂ everyday helpsÂ lung function effectively.
3. High in iron, it helps in reducing anemia and improves blood health.
4. High in potassium and essential minerals it is an important factor to increase immunity. Slightly roasted jeera can be had as a supplement daily.
5. Packed with VitaminA and Vitamin C it improves skin health. If had regularly, it helps reverse aging and reducing the onset of wrinkles and fine lines.
6. The high concentration of anti-oxidants , reduces the free radicals and thereby helps in the prevention of cancer.
7. It increases bile production and is helpful in flushing out toxins from the liver, improving your health.
8. The by-product of detoxification, proper digestion also means improved metabolism.
9. Improved metabolism means increased energy levels.
10. Increased energy levels means weight loss of the right kind and better figures.
Jeera can be used in Indian cooking as we all know, in our everyday dals, vegetable preparation, mixed with curds as raita. We can also crush it and use it in out rotis, bake it with our breads, sprinkle it with the dressing on our salads and even use it is as basic mouth fresheners.