We all use essential oils for massages, for their fragrance and body healing properties. But what we don’t realize is that it’s our olfactory senses that really make it possible for the aroma of the oils to affect and cause the release of tensions and relax. This is possible with its use even as a bath oil or pillow drops.
There are various herbs and flora that can release different oils which can be used for different purposes. Many of them are used also for medicinal purposes. But today we will only talk about essential oils for the mind. The fragrance of these can relieve mental anxiety, tension and can help you even sleep better.
There are oils to calm the mind, reduce anxiety, invigorate your energies, relax your nervous system, bring about focus, create mindfulness.
- Lavender Oil – One of the most popular and well known. It is used a lot during massages. However, even a few drops of this oil on your pillow or in a diffuser just before you go to bed can help you get a good nights sleep.
- Clary Sage Oil – This oil is often used as a stress reliever and as an antidepressant, It is also used to relieve menopausal hot flashes when applied to the feet.
- Patchouli Oil – This is used to reduce the feeling of anxiety and promote a sense of comfort and calm to the mind.
- Rose Oil – The queen of oils. The purest form is one of the most expensive oils but it is a mood lifter and anti-depressant. It is also used to reduce headaches along with a host of other uses for the skin.
- Bergamot Oil – This is closest to the smell of oranges. A citrusy fragrance, it is an invigorating smell that makes you feel energetic and alive.
- Jatamansi Oil – This is used in ancient Ayurveda as an anti-depressant and sleep-inducing and sedating qualities.
- Sweet Basil Oil – It is an anxiety relieving, calming oil without inhibiting wakefulness.
- Lemon Oil – This is an awakening smell that enhances energy and elevates the feeling of vigour and happiness.
- Chamomile Oil – One of the mildest oils. It creates a feeling of calm, reduces anxiety.
- Geranium Oil – It is used to create a feeling of calming and can also reduce diastolic blood pressure.
Aromatherapy has been around for quite some time, but very rarely do we start using it as a stress reliever. Post the lockdown many of us had difficulty in falling asleep, anxiety would have become an issue. For me, instead of using sleep-inducing tablets, I found this as an easier and better way to reduce stress. Though it is not a magic wand, as you allow your brain to get used to the smell. The olfactory neurotransmitters start taking over and this can really help in the long run. It is like training your mind. Lower the lights, keep your phones away, keep the temperature comfortable in your bedroom and allow the fragrance to take over.
Relax, and rejuvenate.