Managing your mind is not something we are ever taught how to do. We say education helps to expand your mind but we are rarely educated on how to learn. Many people struggle to understand, while others are flustered with memory issues. Often ragged about their incompetency, the kids are either put into the dyslexic or dumb brain category. Fortunately, in the recent times, movies like Tare Zameen par did create an awareness about this issue for children. Yet how can we help adults who can’t cope with these issues.
Alzheimer’s or dementia is not a distant reality for those people. It is something we crawl towards with every passing year. Little to do people know that its genes germinate as early as in the 20’s. And, if it is left unfettered can create troubles as you age. Even a normal person has faced embarrassment, loss of time or a valued client or job because of having forgotten something. Memory can enhance your life, help create and nurture relationships, hon greater skills. The biggest question is, how do we do it?
If you believe it, then you become it. That is the biggest mantra of to get over this hurdle. Stop saying that you are forgetful, that you can’t seem to remember, that you tend to forget things easily. Your mind learns to believe what you say. So, train yourself into a different you. When you create habits, habits create you. So, coach yourself to do what you want to do.
Cognitive function of the brain can be enhanced by simple everyday routines that can easily be woven into your daily life.
- Begin your day by making your bed – A simple act that kick starts your day by conducting clarity by clearing a mess.
- Brush your teeth with your left hand – It is an exercise that awakens your grey cells in the morning. Since it’s not what you do normally, you trigger your brain to start giving signals.
- Hydrate, drink water – Our body is 70 % water. For our brain to be fluid to receive and retain, we need to supply the tissues with the flow of energy.
- Cold shower – It is known to release hormone, norepinephrine which is a calming hormone for people who face early morning anxiety. To remain in a colder shower, you have to breathe long and slow.
- Eat brain food – A good nourishing meal containing Omega 3’s which boost brain capacity is important to begin your day.
- Exercise – Co-ordination of the mind and muscles improves cognitive retention. Even a simple 10 mins of aerobic activity kick starts the neurological functions.
- Have a positive peer group – Nothing can replace the power of a kind word, a smile or a loving touch.
- Sleep – Unless our brain is rested, it cannot repair itself. Scientifically, it is only when we sleep, that our brains can remove toxins.
- Hear, say, write Repeat – Our brain processes differently when we hear, speak and write. It is important that we do all 3 to consolidate memory.
- Kill negativity – Get rid of negativity and fear. It takes up tangible space in your brain. To absorb, we must let go.
Managing your mind is a step by step process of your daily life. Introducing some basic habits are like refuelling and exercising your brain to work better. Stop using the excuse and find the solution.